BREAK AT THE FLIGHT TO FIND THE INDIAN
1. Discuss the bear threat, emphasize bivouac routine and food storage.
2. Discuss amount of available sunlight in northern latitudes (winter/summer).
3. Discuss book knowledge vs. skills.
4. Explain the Taiga Ecosystem and where it ranges in the world.
BREAK AFTER THE FIRST DAY
1. Discuss their "mind-set/attitude" at the cabin - childish & unprepared with no survival kit.
2. What should their first concern be after the cold water immersion?
3. "Any one got matches?" - How did they stay dry?
4. What tinder did they have for their fire? Witches hair should have been used.
5. What priorities of work did they accomplish?
BREAK AT THE NIGHT FIRE
1. "Die of shame", what natural reaction to stress does it relate to?
2. Watch method/improvised compass - problems for survival navigation.
3. Why was it a good decision to travel?
4. What should they have done prior to traveling?
5. Group survival - Point out how as a group, the weak became strong when they formulated a plan together & how the weak became strong when tasked.
BREAK AT THE HELO FLYING OVER
1. Discuss the thatching j ob on their shelter.
2. Discuss commitment/courage about the bloody bandages. "What difference does it make?"
3. Discuss snow storms in mountains at any time.
4. Discuss survival signaling - be prepared. BREAK AFTER THE BEAR KILL
1. Discuss how they passed up enormous food sources.
-Reindeer moss -Fish
2. Discuss how they should be thinking of long term survival prior to the onset of winter.
3. Point out how bears run straight through the woods.
4. Point out when a bear will charge: pawing back & forth with head swaying side to side.
5. Point out that man will not out run a bear.
6. Explain that a mauled survivor was only disciplined by the bear.
DISCUSS AT THE END OF THE MOVIE
1. How tools became important.
2. The feasibility of digging large pit traps.
3. How Anthony Hopkins sat & thought prior to making a decision - "Undue haste makes waste".
4. How realistic the amount of bough would create the amount of smoke generated.
5. Discuss finally how knowledge comes first, but knowledge without skills is useless!
S - Size up the situation, surroundings, physical condition, & equipment. U - Undue haste makes waste. R - Remember where you are.
V - Vanquish fear and panic. I - Improvise & Improve.
V - Value living.
A - Act like the natives.
L - Live by your wits, but for now, Learn Basic Skills.
Was this article helpful?